How to Play Rummikub
The game of Rummikub is based on the elements of Traditional Rummy games. However, there are different elements that make it unique including its colorful tiles. The game requires a lot of concentration and creativity especially when reassembling existing melds a move that might seem trivial. Here are some how to play Rummikub basics.
The Game of Rummikub
- This rummy game is designed to be played by 2 – 4 players.
- In order to play the game you must have a Rummikub box including colorful tiles with two sets of cards for each color (4 colors in total) and two joker tiles.
- Each player is dealt 14 tiles.
- The objective of the game is to be the first player to get rid of their tiles.
- During the game players must form melds of which there are two types:
- Sets = tiles with the same numerical value but different colors
- Runs = tiles of the same color in consecutive order.
- A meld must contain at least 3 tiles.
- A set must contain 3 tiles minimum and 4 tiles at most.
- A run must contain at least 3 tiles and a maximum of 13 tiles.
- Rummikub has 3 main moves – Drawing a tile, melding tiles in the designated melding area (this includes reassembling existing melds) and discarding a tile at the end of a turn.
- Drawing a tile is done from the stock pile or from the pie of discarded tiles.
- In order to perform any moves in the melding are, the player must first make a valid meld of at least 30 points.
- Players can use their turn to perform moves in the melding area. Players can meld sets, runs, build onto existing melds and reassemble the existing melds.
- A player can reassemble existing melds only once they have put down their first valid meld and as long as they add at least one tile to the new meld and all melds on the board are valid.
- If a player can meld cards they are not required to draw a tile at the beginning of their turn but a card must be discarded at the end of their turn.
- When a player has gotten rid of all of the tiles in their hand each of their opponents receives penalty points according to the value of the tiles remaining in their hand. The winner receives their opponent’s penalty points in the form of a positive bonus.
- The game ends when a player reaches 200 points from all of the previous rounds.
These are the basic how to play Rummikub rules. In our site you can fin detailed information on the rules, tips and strategies and all of the pertinent information for our beginner players.